The AIM-HI Women’s Venture Competition provides an opportunity for aspiring female entrepreneur-scientists in the cancer/oncology arena to seek early-stage funding and prizes from AIM-HI Accelerator Fund along with acceptance into our Accelerator Program. In addition to our own network of women scientists, AIM-HI wishes to expand the cadre of women entrepreneurs through open competition. Women-led companies, started to address unmet medical needs in cancer/oncology, will compete and the most promising companies will be identified by a team of experts. AIM-HI will enter into discussions with the top two finalists about funding those companies for equity or in the form of a convertible loan of up to $300,000. Successful companies will also receive additional help to successfully grow their companies as a part of AIM-HI’s accelerator program, including bootcamp training from Springboard Enterprises. We invite all aspiring women scientist/entrepreneurs to apply.
Each applicant will provide proof of eligibility, as defined below. The competition will be judged by our expert panels of Key Opinion Leaders who are life science investors, noted scientists, veteran pharmaceutical executives and experienced entrepreneurs. At the end of the competition, there will be two awardees – a winner and a runner-up. Upon successful conclusion of Due Diligence and negotiations, the final awardee may receive up to $300,000 of seed stage equity investment. All finalists will be accepted into the Accelerator program, which begins with a lifescience entrepreneurial bootcamp training provided by our partner, Springboard Enterprises (a value of $5000).
The value of this competition, outside the potential for seed stage equity investment, is:
Mentoring – we have a long-term focus on the entrepreneur-scientist, which is a human capital centered approach with a long track record. We look for coachability and entrepreneurial mindset in the women entrepreneur-scientists and match them with industry mentors (a value of $10K).
- Advising – we focus on time-efficient, strategic connections and helping the women entrepreneur build out her team or provide virtual CXO services (a value of up to $100K)
- Networking – we have a vast, selective global network of innovators, investors and influencers in the oncology subsector of life sciences industry. We will make introductions for investment and market expansion purposes (a value of up to $25K)
Eligibility for this competition includes:
- A company woman in senior leadership position of an oncology startup company with equity stake, could be Founder, CEO, CSO, or CMO
- A track record of milestone achievement including, but not limited to, grants from the Government or foundations, patents, etc.
- A detailed business plan for developing breakthrough oncology drugs, diagnostics, or therapies. The plan should include a financial budget, including, but not limited to, lab space or CRO, animal studies, toxicology and pharmacology studies. The plan should have an emphasis on understanding the targeted market, to include competitive landscape and unmet medical needs, etc.
- online application
- Business Plan
- 2 minute video introducing the company
- Application Fee: $250 per company
- Feedback from the judging committee
- Guidelines provided to the Finalists to prepare for the in-person presentation
Confidential presentation (20 min) in front of a panel of 6-8 judges
What to Expect:
- Top two finalists are considered for up to $300K in seed investment
- Finalists recognition
- All Finalists will be accepted into the Springboard Lifescience Bootcamp
- Reception and Award Dinner on May 20
PROGRAM COMMITTEE COMPOSITION
- Chair and Co-chair
- Staff from AIM-HI, NFCR, AFCR, co-investing VC firm
- Noted scientists and oncologists/doctors
- Women entrepreneurs in life sciences
- Veteran pharmaceutical industry executives
- Venture Capitalists
- Deal lawyers
- IP lawyers